Keriri (Hammond) Island
Keriri (Hammond) Island
The aim of this page is to gather information freely available on the Internet about Keriri (Hammond) Island, Torres Straits, Australia.
- Hammond Island
Torres Strait Regional Authority - Community Profiles - Hammond Island
- Hammond Island Council
Hammond Island is well known as "KERIRI", and it is traditionally owned by the Kaurareg People. Hammond Island is a Hilly island with mounds of basaltic rocks. It is situated in the Inner Group of the islands of the Torres Strait. It is 10km long and noted for its natural, permanent, freshwater springs.
- St. Joseph Church, Hammond Island
approximately 60,000 blue granite rocks, weighing a total of 2,000 tons were smashed and dragged up the hill by the use of manual labour
- Wikipedia - Torres Strait Islands
The Torres Strait Islands are a group of at least 274 small islands which lie in Torres Strait, the waterway separating far northern continental Australia's Cape York Peninsula and the island of New Guinea. ...
- Torres Strait seagrass
The Torres Strait lies between Australia's Cape York Peninsula and Papua New Guinea and was named after the first known European explorer in the region, Spanish navigator Luis Baés de Torres (1606).
- Pictures relating to Hammond Island, QLD
Images relating to Hammond Island, Queensland. ...caution..pictures of deceased among this collection
- Torres Strait near Hammond Island
Map of Hammond Island
- Torres Strait Island communities D-H (State Library of Queensland)
> Information for... > Indigenous people > Footprints before me > Community history > Missions and reserves > Torres Strait Island communities > D-H
- Torres Strait Regional Authority - Ms Nancy Pearson
Ms Pearson is an avid champion for women and families in the region. Economic development, environmental sustainability and strategies to increase employment are all areas that Ms Pearson sees as being of concern. ...
- A Torres Strait Territory Government
The Torres Strait Regional Authority (TSRA), the peak regional body in the Torres Strait, has proposed a new regional governance framework in the Torres Strait.
...there are relatively few people (18,000 or 0.1% of the Australian population) in this area whish is nearly 2% of Australians or about half the size of...
- National Native Title Tribunal - Claimant application summary - Kaurareg People #2
Application name: Kaurareg People #2
Application type: Claimant application
State or Territory: Queensland
- Google Images - Hammond Island, Torres Strait
Google image results for Hammond Island, Torres Strait
- Google Books - Hammond Island, Torres Strait
Google book results for Hammond Island, Torres Strait
- Google Scholar - Hammond Island, Torres Strait
Google scholar results for Hammond Island, Torres Strait
- Youtube - Hammond Island - View from the top
Taken from the front of the stone church
- Youtube - Grotto - Hammond Island
...wandered around and found this grotto hidden away today...
- Youtube - Finding the hidden grotto - Hammond Island
It was a glorious example of people using the materials that nature has provided to show their worship. A truly magical experience. Since I posted this, I received comments from a local person who was upset that I had described it as "hidden". ...