Mer (Murray) Island
Mer (Murray) Island
The aim of this page is to gather information freely available on the Internet about Mer (Murray) Island, Torres Straits, Australia.
- Mer (Murray) Island
Torres Strait Regional Authority - Community Profiles - Mer (Murray) Island
- Mabo - The Native Title Revolution
This website is full of information relating to the Meriam Mer people of Mer Island, Torres Straits, Australia
- Torres Strait Islands - New World Encyclopedia
The Torres Strait Islands are a group of at least 274 small islands that lie in Torres Strait, the waterway separating far northern continental Australia's Cape York Peninsula and the island of New Guinea. ...
- Wikipedia - Murray Island, Queensland
Murray Island (known by the local Torres Strait Islanders as Mer) is a small island of volcanic origin, populated by the Melanesian Meriam people and situated in the eastern section of Torres Strait, near the Great Barrier Reef. The island has a population of around 450.
Map of Mer
- NSW HSC Online - Indigenous Australian Case Study: Torres Strait, Mer (Murray Island) and Eddie 'Koiki' Mabo
Exam material and other resources to help you succeed in your HSC. A Charles Sturt University (CSU) initiative developed in collaboration with the NSW Department of Education, Science and Training.
- Murray Island, Queensland: Information from Answers.com
Murray Island, Queensland This article refers to an Australian island. The American one is referred to as Murray Isle This article does not cite any
- Meriam language: Information from Answers.com
Meriam language Meriam Spoken in Murray Island , Torres Strait , Queensland , Australia Total speakers ~300–400 (1991) Language family Eastern
- Meriam people: Information from Answers.com
Meriam people Mer ( Murray Island ), in the eastern group of Torres Strait Islands off the northern tip of Australia , is home to the Meriam people
- Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 1
Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 1 General Ethnogrpahy. On-line to read .....
- Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 3
Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 3 Linguistics. On-Line to read ...
- Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 4
Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 4 Arts and Crafts. On-line to read ....
- Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 6
Reports of the Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait: Volume 6 Sociology, Magic and Religion of the Eastern Islanders. On-line to read .....
- Head-hunters; black, white, and brown
AC Haddon - Head-hunters - Read free on-line ... ...
- Select bibliogrpahy of all items referring to the Meriam language from AIATSIS
Selected Bibliography of the Meriam Mir / Miriam Mer language and Meriam people
held in the AIATSIS Library
- Eastern Torres Strait Islander Songs
Can a language truly survive unless it can adequately convey its immediate world and the feeling of those living in its context? Can it travel wit...
- From the diaries
At two o'clock, the largest island was seen. At half past five, the largest Island bore S. 36º E. 28º W., one mile and a half. We had scarcely anchored when between forty and fifty Indians came off, in three canoes.
- The Eastern Islands of Torres Strait
The Eastern Islands of Torres Strait
By Jeremy Beckett, Department of Anthropology, University of Sydney
- KEVIN O'BRIEN ARCHITECTS
Debe Yama / Finding Dignity: 7 Prompts - Kevin O'Brien Architects ...Born in 1916 on Nepean Island in the Eastern Torres Strait islands, her 92 years has witnessed the impact of missionaries, Aboriginal Protectors
- Screen Australia Digital Learning - Digital resources tagged with ‘land rights’
Every digital resource on Screen Australia’s Digital Learning site is tagged with descriptive terms. This list shows the resources which are tagged with ‘land rights’.
- Notes on the clans, economy, trade and traditional law of the Murray Islanders, Torres Straits
Notes on the clans, economy, trade and traditional law of the Murray Islanders, Torres Straits...click on link to view more